Monday, March 06, 2006

Head over heels in love

The tech gooroo/media center master of my school is always happy to pass new poetry collections on to me (I could spend all year having students study and write different form of poetry. I love the experimentation, the variation, the freedom . . .) Friday he brought me Jazz ABZ by Wynton Marsalis.

It is absolutely incredible. He goes through the alphabet with jazz musicians: Count Basis, Sachmo, Coltrane, Duke Ellington . . . I've long loved anything 1920's (I hate that I'm large-chested, because I love the whole flapper style). And jazz, oh, baby, jazz. It's already on my list of books to buy and authors to keep an eye out for.

Someday, I want to write a historical fantasy set in the 1920's. People always cite Lovecraft when I mention this, but my style and his are worlds apart. I just don't want to write it yet. I've written what I consider to be a good book. I think the next one will be better. I want what I write for the 20's to be the cherry on top of everything. I don't feel ready for it yet.

In the meantime, a hearty thanks to Wynton Marsalis.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gabriele C. said...

1920ies is an unusual setting for a Fantasy novel, that could be fun. I don't mind the Mediaevalish stuff at long as it isn't too clich├ęd, but I also like Fantasy with unusual takes.

Strange enough, I haven't yet come across an idea I didn't think I could write yet. Either my ideas adapt to my skills, or I have more self esteem than is good for me. *grin*

March 9, 2006 at 4:32 PM  
Blogger The Beautiful Schoolmarm said...

I figure that boundless optimism is a wonderful thing--and considering your formidible research skills, I imagine that the 1920's would provide no obstacle. What were they like in Germany? It's very difficult to find sources here that discuss post WWI in Europe or other parts of the world.

March 14, 2006 at 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home