Friday, April 28, 2006

Rants, trivia, dogs, and popcorn

I had a rant about how difficult it is to find a modest swimsuit for a teenage girl these days, but blogger was down and wouldn't let me post it, and the wind went out of my sails.

My students worked on a series of trivia questions last week. From a teacher standpoint, it was a way to keep the faster writers occupied while the slower ones finished their state writing test (I won't start that rant again . . .). One question asked for the names of Santa's eight reindeer. Over half of the students listed Nixon as one.

According to them, Juliet Ceasar is one of Shakespeare's plays, along with Romeo and Julius, which takes place in New York.

Some days, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

With the advent of summer, I'm planning to teach my dog to pull a cart. In preparation, I've been spending quite a bit of time at Leerburg.com, an excellent place for those who want to train a good, solid dog.

Good dog training is very similar to good parenting and good classroom management:
1. Develop a good bond between yourself and the dog/child/student
2. Establish what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior.
3. Establish consequences for unacceptable behavior.
4. Consistantly and fairly follow through consequences, but also consistantly praise and reward good behavior.

Also, if the dog has been snarfing popcorn off the floor, make sure that he gets lots of outside time over the next 24 hours, because he'll be able to clear a room. This applies to certain students as well, whether they've had popcorn or not.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Vincent said...

Hearing about your students and Shakespeare made me laugh! I loved teaching Shakespeare. In fact, that's probably the only part I truly miss. Except for Poe. And Chaucer.

Okay, I miss the literature. But not the grammar. Fourteen-year-olds just don't care about the difference between subjective and objective case pronouns.

April 29, 2006 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger louiswarner22080588 said...

Get any Desired College Degree, In less then 2 weeks.

Call this number now 24 hours a day 7 days a week (413) 208-3069

Get these Degrees NOW!!!

"BA", "BSc", "MA", "MSc", "MBA", "PHD",

Get everything within 2 weeks.
100% verifiable, this is a real deal

Act now you owe it to your future.

(413) 208-3069 call now 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

May 6, 2006 at 5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home