Monday, May 22, 2006

Consequences and Accountability

The Gremlin--AKA my middle-school daughter--had the bomb dropped on her this morning.

Some backstory:
The Gremlin chose to forgo basketbball this year and participate in Destination Imagination, a program focused on competative problem solving. Her team had to create an 8 minute skit around the theme of rules and have at least one technical device that appeared to break a law of motion worked into the skit. They created the set and costumes themselves out of cardboard and duct tape (and I tell you, I should own stock in duct tape). They dressed as ants. Incredibly cute.

They won 1st in state in their division, which means they get to attend DI Nationals in Tennessee. They leave tomorrow.

But because the Gremlin is, in fact, a gremlin, with may fine gremlin qualities, there has to be a hitch: her make-up work for the trip. She will miss four days of school. When she returns, she will have only 3 days of school left. One is the carnival day, so no classes then. One is the BBQ for her group, so again, no class. That leaves one day.

Two weeks ago, her teacher, who is also her coach, mentioned to her that she needed to ask for her homework. That was the eighth. On Saturday the thirteenth, her team mates reminded her when they gathered to work on costumes for the costume ball. On Monday the fifteen, I reminded her, as did her teacher. Her team reminded her again on Tuesday, and her teacher reminded her on Wednesday. So she has had many many OFFICIAL reminders. El Cerdito (the hubby) and I also confinscated her MP3 play, CD player and boombox until the work was brought home, finished and returned. I was quite prepared to keep them through the whole summer if she didn't do the work.

But her teacher had a better idea. Today her class went on a field trip to the Territorial Prison in Laramie, WY (where my younger brother used to work, incidentally). Up until about 7:10 A.M., she thought she was going too. Then we called her down the hall and explained that the field trip was for students who were caught up with their work--which she wasn't, since she hadn't even asked for the make-up work yet. Instead of a bus trip with friends and seeing the prison and plays, she is sitting in ISS, doing her make-up work. If it isn't done, then tomorrow, she will be doing it on the plane. But I think (hope, pray) that she will finish.

And maybe--just maybe, the reality that a body must be responsible for herself and her work will sink in just a bit.

3 Comments:

Blogger stay_c said...

Good for you! I would have done the same when I was teaching or to my own kids.

May 22, 2006 at 12:37 PM  
Blogger The Beautiful Schoolmarm said...

I think she'll nominate me for the evil stepmother award for this though. :) I so want to do a fairytale from the stepmother's POV, now that I've been one for about 5 years.

May 22, 2006 at 2:02 PM  
Blogger Gabriele C. said...

*grins* She asked for it.

I always got my assignments in time, but actually doing them ... well, last minute, anyone? :)

May 22, 2006 at 3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home